Here are instructions for navigating and updating basic information on your new website! I recommend copying the URL for this page and opening it in a different tab so that you can view it while you're making changes. Here we go!
Here is where you go to log in to your site: https://www.squarespace.com/login
*I recommend bookmarking this so you can access it easily. Also worth noting, is that you can log off of your site just by clicking the ESC key on your keyboard.
When you log in, you will see your website on the right and a menu to the left. I'm going to walk through the parts that you will be updating and tracking, which are highlighted in blue.
*I will not be covering COMMERCE since you are not selling anything from your site at this time, and HELP, which just takes you to a general help page via Squarespace.
PART ONE: PAGES
This is where you can:
- Update Homepage Slideshow
- Update Portfolio Page Galleries
- Update Written Content
And I'm going to warn you in advance, it may seem confusing at first.. but it gets easier once you get the hang of it.
Updating Homepage Slideshow
Changing the order of Homepage Images
On the left-hand navigation, go down to the area that says HOMEPAGE. Each of the titles next to the small page icons represent images that are in your homepage portfolio. You can re-order the homepage items by clicking and dragging them to your preferred order.
Deleting Homepage Images
If you want to delete one of them, you can hover your mouse over it and a garbage can icon will appear on the left. Simply click that and it will be deleted.
Adding New Homepage Images
- Click +Add Page at the bottom of the list of HOMEPAGE gallery images.
- A box will appear. Click on the box that says PAGE. And enter the title of the image in the white text box next to the page icon.
3. Now hover your mouse over the new title, and there will be a wheel icon that shows up to the right. Click on the wheel icon.
4. A box will pop up on the right side of the screen. Make sure the Navigation Title and Page Titles match, and make sure the Enabled area is checked (if not, the image will not show up on the homepage). Now add a brief description of the image. Focus on the type of photography and location. This will help SEO.
5. Lastly, go to to the area that says Thumbnail Image and upload the image you wish to use.
6. Click save at the bottom, and you're done! Make sure you check the live homepage to make sure that it's showing up.
Updating Portfolio Page Slideshow
- Click on the arrow on the right side of the PORTFOLIOS tab, which will expand the menu. Click on the portfolio you want to update.
- Hover your mouse on the portfolio page you are in on the right, and you'll see a small rectangular box show up at the top of the page. Click on the EDIT button in the middle.
- After clicking the EDIT button, the page will expand. Now hover your mouse over the portfolio. Click on the EDIT button which will pop up at the top. A box will show up to the right of the page.
- Click on the plus symbol at the bottom-right of the box to add more images. To reogranize the order of images, simply click and drag.
- When you are done, make sure you click SAVE at the bottom of the portfolio box, and at the top of the page.
Updating Written Content
- Click on the ABOUT tab on the left-side menu, and you'll see your ABOUT page show up on the right side of the screen.
- Hover your mouse on the ABOUT page, and you'll see a small rectangular box show up at the top of the page. Click on the EDIT button in the middle.
- After clicking the EDIT button, the page will expand. Simply click into the text of the area you want to update.
- When you're done, click on the SAVE button on the top, and the changes will be saved.
PART TWO: DESIGN
This is where you can update the favicon:
- Click on DESIGN in the left-side navigation.
- Click on LOGO & TITLE at top.
- Scroll down to bottom, where it says BROWSER ICON (FAVICON).
- Add your icon. Can be PNG or ICO. Best size for PNG: 96x96. Best size for ICO: 32x32.
All of the rest are areas I don't recommend making changes to on your own. However, if there are any of these areas you would like to learn more about, I'd be happy to walk you through them or write up more instructions.
PART THREE: METRICS
This is the fun part. This is where you get to check out the traffic of your website. Here's how you do it:
Tracking Website Metrics
- Click on METRICS in the left-side navigation.
- Here you can view how much traffic your site is getting, where it’s coming from, what browsers/mobile devices people are viewing from, which pages are being viewed most, and what people are searching when they get to your site. You get to spy on your traffic.
- The METRICS part of the site is very self explanatory. I recommend taking a look at each of the tabs and checking in every day or so to see how your traffic is looking. If you’re finding things such as common search queries, common places where traffic is coming from, which pages are most popular etc, we can go back and optimize more later on.
PART FOUR: COMMENTS
This is where you can view the comments that were made on your blog.
Comments will get streamed into the APPROVED tab. If there are comments you want to remove, there will be a trash-bin symbol next to them which you can use to delete, flag, or mark as spam. If you want to respond to comments, there will be a thought-bubble symbol next to the comment which you can use to add your response.
PART FIVE: SETTINGS
This is where you can make general Settings updates. I'll just go through the ones that I think you will be needing. I don't recommend changing the SEO or Advanced tabs for example, because that might mess with the site and SEO.
Site Description + Language & Region
I don't recommend making changes to the Site Description and Language & Region at least for the next 6 months (starting February 2015), but if at some point down the road, you want to change the description of your business (add more services, locations, etc.), you can do this through these tabs. For SEO reasons though, I do recommend running it by me or someone who has a background in SEO first.
Domains + Email
This will be set up as soon as you're ready to take the site live. Again for SEO reasons, I do not recommend making changes to the Domains portions, but if you need to update or add an email addresses, you can do so through the Email tab.
Once the site goes live, the site ownership will be switched to you, and I will be removed as a user. From here you can add Blog Contributors or extra Admins who can access your site.
This is where you can connect your Social Media accounts. Click on the Connected Accounts tab, and add the Social Media service you'd like to include. Whatever is added here will automatically be added into the live page next to the Facebook icon.
Security + Billing & Account
This is where you an update the password to your site, and the billing information.